news

At least 3 dead, over dozen trapped as under-construction building collapses in Cambodia: Governor

PHNOM PENH (June 22): A seven-storey under-construction building collapsed early Saturday in southwestern Cambodia's Preah Sihanouk province, killing at least three people, said Provincial Governor Yun Min.

"So far, three people were found dead, as 19 others were rescued," he told China's Xinhua News Agency over phone, adding that all victims found were Cambodians.

Between 40 and 50 workers were sleeping in the construction site when the building collapsed, the governor said, adding that two excavators were being used to remove rubbles in order to search for those trapped.

According to local authorities, the building was constructed on a parcel of 15 meters by 30 meters, and about 80 per cent of the construction was completed.

The incident happened at about 5 am local time in commune four in Sihanoukville, the National Police said on its website.

SHARE
RELATED POSTS
  1. Loft collapse inside Gwangju nightclub kills 2, injures athletes at Fina Championships
  2. KPKT looking at redeveloping Highland Towers site
  3. House in coastal village collapses, 27 escape unhurt