PEKAN (June 29): The Ministry of Health (MoH) will give priority to reviewing electrical wiring at all government hospitals nationwide to prevent fire incidents as what happened at the Sultanah Aminah Hospital (HSA) in Johor Baru yesterday from recurring.
Minister Datuk Seri Dr Adham Baba (pictured) said certain allocations had also been approved for that purpose.
“We will see that electrical systems are checked nationwide. In fact, several critical allocations have been approved,” he told reporters after visiting the Chini Health Clinic near here today.
Adham was commenting on the fire incident at the women’s ward of the HSA at 3pm yesterday. However, there were no fatalities as all 24 patients in the ward were rescued.
In October 2016, a fire broke out on the second floor of the hospital’s intensive care unit (ICU), which left six dead.
Meanwhile, Adham expressed his gratitude to the Sultan of Johor, Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar, who had agreed to bear the cost of repairing the HSA women’s ward.
“As requested by the Sultan, three parties, namely the Fire and Rescue Department, the Public Works Department and the MoH, will sit [together] and come up with the best plan.
“I visited the area yesterday and saw the areas to be improved. The whole complex needs rewiring and upgrading, and patients' accommodation facilties must be improved,” he said.
Through his official Facebook page, Sultan Ibrahim said the cost will be fully borne by the Sultan Ibrahim Johor Foundation.
Stay safe. Keep updated on the latest news at www.EdgeProp.my
TOP PICKS BY EDGEPROP
Taman Sri Gombak Heights/Gombak Groove @ Sri Gombak
Seksyen 25, Shah Alam (Taman Sri Muda)
Shah Alam, Selangor