KUALA LUMPUR (Jan 15): The entire state of Kelantan will be placed under the Movement Control Order (MCO) from tomorrow until Jan 26, while in Sarawak, the MCO will be implemented in Sibu, Selangau and Kanowit districts from tomorrow until Jan 29.
Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob (pictured) said that the decision was made on the advice of the Ministry of Health (MOH) following the increase in COVID-19 cases in Kelantan as well as in three districts in Sarawak.
“Since Jan 10, the average daily cases in Kelantan have increased from 80 to 100 cases and even active cases have increased dramatically within 14 days.
“Kota Bharu, Bachok, Tumpat, Gua Musang, Machang, Kuala Krai and Tanah Merah districts are now in the red zone, while Pasir Puteh and Pasir Mas are now in the yellow zone and Jeli is in the orange zone,” he said at a press conference on development of MCO at Wisma Pertahanan, here today.
He said that all the MCO standard operating procedures (SOPs) previously announced will be applicable in Kelantan and three districts in Sarawak, among which, only two individuals from the same household were allowed to go out to buy daily essentials.
Ismail Sabri said that MOH also reported a sharp increase in cases involving clusters in communities throughout the state.
As at yesterday, cumulatively 1,649 positive cases were recorded in Kelantan, he said.
Meanwhile, in Sarawak, he said that from Dec 31 to Jan 13, the MOH confirmed a sharp increase in cases within 14 days, from two to 251 cases.
He said that most of the cases were from the Pasai Cluster in Sibu and Mukah which recorded a total of 394 cases out of the total number of cases reported.
“This cluster involves 18 longhouses scattered throughout Sibu, therefore the MOH advises that MCO be implemented in the three districts,” he said.
Get the latest news @ www.EdgeProp.my
Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates
TOP PICKS BY EDGEPROP
Camellia Residence, Bandar Tasik Kesuma