news

How many pre-war houses in Penang’s heritage zone have been sold to foreigners?

GEORGE TOWN (Dec 14): It looks like the saga concerning pre-war houses in Penang’s heritage zone is not going to be over soon.

Penang Gerakan Youth today asked the Penang state government to clearly state the number of pre-war houses in the heritage zone that have been bought by foreigners.

The organisation’s assistant secretary, Loh Kit Mun said Penang chief minister Lim Guan Eng and state Local Government, Traffic Management and Flood Mitigation Committee chairman Chow Kon Yeow had both given differing figures when replying on the matter, Bernama reported today

"During the May 2016 state assembly sitting, Chow said that a total number of 18 houses in the heritage zone had been bought by foreigners.

"However, during the recent November state assembly sitting the chief minister said that the total units sold was 60 and this figure was recorded from 2008 to May 2014," Loh said at a press conference, here today.

Last month, Penang Gerakan Youth urged the state government to restrict foreigners from buying heritage properties.

Earlier this month, Loh said the state government does not care about the mass exit of traditional trades from the heritage zone owing to evictions by building owners.

“Is the state government even serious about protecting the traditional trades and intangible heritage of George Town?”

SHARE
RELATED POSTS
  1. Penang bridges' CCTVs to be improved: Phee
  2. Oct 14 deadline for Penang property owners to appeal against assessment rate hike
  3. Guan Eng: Optimistic outlook for retail sector