GEORGE TOWN (March 6): Some tenants evicted from the Taman Manggis people’s housing project (PPR) carried out a peaceful protest in front of the project and later marched to Komtar after their homes were “sealed” today, reported The Malay Mail
It was reported that up to 22 tenants were evicted today after being served notice last year “as they were no longer eligible to rent the PPR units meant for Malaysians and the hardcore poor”.
Penang housing department staff tried to evicting the stubborn tenants last week but “they were given a reprieve till today” after earlier protests.
The protestors handed a memorandum to the Penang Chief Minister’s office at around noon.
In response, Penang CM Chow Kon Yeow said PPR units are only rented out for five years to each tenant, reported the news portal.
“After five years, we will review the case and hopefully the tenant would have increased their income level and be able to afford somewhere else so they can vacate the units and let others who have been waiting for these units to rent it.
“Till today, those who were supposed to only rent the units for five years are still there and we had to take action against those who no longer meet the criteria to qualify for a PPR unit,” he told the media at his office.
He explained that the PPR units are only for the hardcore poor so those whose income is higher, consistently failed to pay their rent and those with foreign spouses have to move out.
The PPR units are also “strictly for Malaysians” and those with foreign spouses are not eligible at all for a unit.
Chow said there are more than 400 applicants still waiting for PPR units in Taman Manggis “since the project was completed 11 years ago”.
“We will only listen to the appeals by genuine cases,” Chow stressed.