IPOH (April 12): Audit reports into the Movie Animation Park Studios (MAPS) show double payments to the company’s employees and the subcontractors hired.

The Malay Mail reports that Perak Corporation Bhd audit committee chairman Chong Zhemin said a special internal audit report shows accounting figures in supporting documents do not tally.

“This is absolutely insane and dumbfounding. No sane person would sanction this kind of payment,” he was quoted as saying.

The publication reports that Chong says Animation Theme Park Sdn Bhd (ATP) and PCB Development Bhd (PCBD) paid a total RM29.22 million in salaries to Sanderson Design Group (M) Sdn Bhd (SDGM) after the management had paid the full RM324.39 million to the same company hired to construct MAPS.

Perak State Development Corporation (PKNP) chairman Datuk Seri Zambry Abd Kadir should be responsible, he said, as he had direct control over Perak Corporation Bhd (PCB).

“Zambry should enlighten us on this matter as paying salaries to SDGM employees and subcontractors is abusing ATP and PCBD funds to double-pay for the construction of MAPS,” said Chong.

PCB is a subsidiary of PKNP that owns PCBD, which owns a 51% share in ATP. The remaining 49% belongs to RSG MAPS Sdn Bhd.

Chong said the audit report reveals ATP paid RM22 million to SDGM despite the fact that a certification of works for a ride called “Lake Coaster” showed a payment of only RM20.3 million.

“Why the additional amount of RM1.78 million paid to the contractor?” he asked.

Calling it “ridiculous”, he said that despite the hefty amount, the attraction had not been installed yet, but had been abandoned. At present the installation would cost RM3 million and RM4 million.

“We have a potential buyer who offered RM11.48 million for the Lake Coaster, but even if the deal goes through, ATP would realise a loss of RM10.52 million,” he was quoted saying.

The “Selfie Boardwalk”, another attraction, had been shut down due to safety concerns within a year of its operation, by the previous management.

“The attraction was opened in July 2017 and closed on June 2018. And it is closed until today. This is utterly a waste of money,” he said. The attraction had cost RM285,000.

Yesterday, it was reported that a representative from the Perak Mentri Besar’s Office lodged a report at the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission against an unnamed theme park in the city after its construction cost doubled.


  1. PKNP transfers Perak land sale rights to Perak Corp’s unit
  2. PN17 firm Perak Corp signs master agreement with PKNP on development initiatives
  3. Zambry supports move to have new official residence for Perak MB