news

Dr Mahathir: 'Yes, we can sell' PLUS Malaysia


KUALA LUMPUR (Oct 7): Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said today the Malaysian government can sell highway owner and operator PLUS Malaysia Bhd to private entities on the condition that the government still participates in the company's future decision making.

Dr Mahathir told reporters at the Parliament lobby here today the government will consider all acquisition offers for PLUS Malaysia from private entities, provided the price is attractive.

"Yes, we can sell. Whatever offer made on PLUS Malaysia will be studied by the government to determine whether it is suitable to our needs," he said.

The government wholly owns PLUS Malaysia via Khazanah Nasional Bhd and the Employees Provident Fund (EPF).

The highway operator's website shows that Khazanah owns a 51% stake in PLUS Malaysia via UEM Group Bhd while the EPF holds the remaining 49% stake.

At the Parliament lobby, Dr Mahathir said that besides the planned divestment of PLUS Malaysia, the government studies all kinds of options to reduce debt.

"We have a committee to look into the debt issues, and repayment, and this committee will take into consideration all proposals that could help in reducing the government's debt," he said.


Click here for more property stories.

SHARE
RELATED POSTS
  1. Report: Goldman offers US$2b to Malaysia over 1MDB, Mahathir says no
  2. Azmin: Govt will consider PLUS takeover if firm can guarantee abolishing tolls
  3. Dr M: Foreigners won't get citizenship just by buying RM600,000 worth of property