KUALA LUMPUR (March 19): The government is trying to track down about 2,000 Rohingya men who went for the Sri Petaling mosque gathering on Feb 27 to March 1, Reuters reported today.
Health Director-General Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah had earlier revealed today that more than 10,000 participants of the tabligh event has been checked, leaving about 4,000 still unaccounted for.
"They have gone back to their families across Malaysia, it has become difficult for us to contact them. Many are afraid of admitting that they attended, they fear they will get into problems with the authorities," a source told Reuters.
"The government is concerned that if they don't come forward, the infection might spread further," added the source.
Another source within the Rohingya community told the news wire that their illegal immigrant status “make many of them reluctant to identify themselves to get tested for the coronavirus even if they showed symptoms”.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Health today announced 110 new confirmed COVID-19 cases, bringing the tally to 900.
Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Adham Baba said in a statement that 63 cases were participants of the Masjid Jamek Seri Petaling gathering.
He added that 15 cases have recovered and most of the patients are allowed to be discharged today.
Looking for property? Check out Location Scan, where we summarize all available options and facts you need in a few clicks. We have updated the tool to include MRT3 stations too.
Curious how much you can borrow? Use LoanCheck to get your maximum loan eligibility from various banks, or LoanReport to get a FREE CTOS/CCRIS credit report.