KUALA LUMPUR (April 22): Out of 19,077 construction companies that applied to operate during the Movement Control Order (MCO), the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (Miti) have so far only allowed just 1,856 to operate Works Minister Datuk Seri Fadillah Yusof said today.
According to a report by the New Straits Times, Fadillah also warned that the approval comes with rules that must be strictly adhere to.
The minister explained that the Works Ministry together with the Local Government and Housing Ministry, Malaysian Construction Industry Development Authority, the Department of Occupational Safety and Health, Public Works Department, and the Department of Irrigation and Drainage will monitor “the situation and act as enforcement authorities to ensure everyone toes the line”, reported the daily.
"Any construction company found to have breached any of the rules will be blacklisted and even charged in court for violating the MCO," he said.
Fadillah also revealed that small construction companies under the G1 and G2 category were among those given priority to resume operations during the MCO.
He added that contractors “must make sure they minimise the number of workers on site by at least half of what they originally had”.
"Companies must also provide their workers the basics, such as clean workers' quarters and transportation to and from the work site, monitor their movement and regulate good hygiene practices and social distancing among the workers, as a precautionary measure against Covid-19," NST reported Fadillah saying.
Stay calm. Stay at home. Keep updated on the latest news at www.EdgeProp.my #stayathome #flattenthecurve
Looking for property? Check out Location Scan, where we summarize all available options and facts you need in a few clicks. We have updated the tool to include MRT3 stations too.
Curious how much you can borrow? Use LoanCheck to get your maximum loan eligibility from various banks, or LoanReport to get a FREE CTOS/CCRIS credit report.