news

Selangor, Penang, Negeri Sembilan, Pahang join three other states in not implementing CMCO

KLANG: The Selangor government decided against allowing dine-ins at eateries in the state during the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) period announced by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin on May 1, various agencies reported today.

The Negeri Sembilan government also made the same decision while the Penang government said it will implement the CMCO gradually and the Pahang government said it will to fine-tune the CMCO to suit the state’s situation.

Sabah, Sarawak and Kedah had earlier announced decisions against following the CMCO which begins tomorrow.

Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari in a statement today said restaurants and eateries in the state will be allowed to operate from 7am to 10pm daily for take away and delivery services.

Food vendors without premises and food trucks will only be allowed to resume operations after May 12 when the movement control order (MCO) ends.

Night markets, morning markets, carnivals, Ramadan bazaars and Aidilfitri bazaars are prohibited from operating, in line with the federal government's decision.

The construction industry is allowed to resume operations at maximum levels but is required to have in place a safety action plan to control the potential spread of the Covid-19 in order to receive approval from the respective local councils to resume work.

Members of the public are allowed to exercise in open areas and community parks, but have to adhere to social distancing.

Activities in public parks such as Tasik Shah Alam, Taman Jaya and Tasik Cempaka remain prohibited.

Indoor sporting venues and swimming pools will also remain closed.

Hiking activities in venues such as Bukit Gasing is also not allowed, and a list of parks that are not allowed access will be issued by the respective local councils, said Amirudin.

"This decision is applicable to the whole of Selangor at the moment, except in Selayang Baru which is a red zone area," said Amirudin, adding the other requirements will be in tandem with the guidelines set by the National Security Council (NSC).

He said every sector is strictly reminded to implement the necessary health measures such as wearing face masks, washing of hands regularly and avoiding face touching.

“The state government will also introduce a comprehensive contact tracing system to complement the efforts of the NSC, which will be announced on Monday (May 4)," added Amirudin.

He said the state government was aware of the responsibility to balance economic needs and the welfare of the people.

"Hence, there is a need for measures implemented to be done in stages for a ‘soft landing’ so that the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic can be countered more efficiently," he added.

Amirudin said the decisions were arrived after a series of meetings before and after Muhyiddin’s announcement.

The meetings to draw-up the state’s guidelines were attended among others, by the Selangor NSC, the Selangor Covid-19 Task Force, mayors and local council presidents.

About the same time, Negeri Sembilan Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Aminuddin Harun said only takeaways, deliveries and drive-thrus are allowed and this condition also applies to all food truck operators.

“The Negeri Sembilan government has basically agreed with the proposal to loosen the fourth phase of the MCO as announced by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin regarding the control procedures and operation of the sectors involved in the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO).

“However, as the new case of Covid-19 in Negeri Sembilan still continue to occur and to ensure new cases can be controlled, the state government has decided that only the economic sectors are allowed to operate while no social sectors and sports activities would be allowed during the CMCO period,” he told reporters after visiting Seremban Market here today.

Aminuddin said for areas with new and high Covid-19 positive cases such as several housing estates in Sendayan, shops around Seremban Market, and Bahau Market, economic sectors are not allowed to operate subject to the local authorities.

Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow announced today that the MCO will still be in force in the state tomorrow and "everything will be as per the MCO regulations without any changes including public transport companies".

He said the state will not enforce CMCO tomorrow but had decided to do it gradually "in three phases" starting May 4.

He added that the state will only allow several other sectors to re-open from May 8 onwards under the CMCO and finally, other sectors on May 13.

“Only companies that are allowed to operate during the first, second and third phase of MCO are allowed to continue operations for the next four days from tomorrow,” he said in his Facebook live message today.

Meanwhile, Pahang Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Wan Rosdy Wan Ismail in a statement today said the decision on the implementation of the CMCO in Pahang would be finalised at a weekly meeting of the state Security Working Committee on May 8.

“Until the decision (regarding the implementation of the CMCO) is made, all regulations made under the Movement Control Order (MCO) will remain.

“The state government supports the CMCO's announcement, but needs to fine-tune it first. Pahang is also facing a new cluster that needs special attention to address it,” he said today.

Wan Rosdy also said the decision to fine-tune the implementation of the CMCO was necessary to ensure that no new outbreak of the Covid-19 would occur when the economic and business activities in Pahang were allowed to resume operations.

On Friday, Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin announced that the government would implement the CMCO to enable most the economic sector and businesses to resume operations from tomorrow subject to the terms and the SOPs set by the authorities.

Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah on Thursday confirmed that the Health Ministry had detected a new Covid-19 cluster in Lanchang, Temerloh near here involving six individuals from a tahfiz centre.

Stay calm. Stay at home. Keep updated on the latest news at www.EdgeProp.my. #stayathome #flattenthecurve

Click here to see residential properties for sale in Petaling Jaya, Selangor.

Click here for more property stories.

 

Looking for properties to buy or rent? With >150,000 exclusive listings, including undervalued properties, from vetted Pro Agents, you can now easily find the right property on Malaysia's leading property portal EdgeProp! You can also get free past transacted data and use our proprietary Edge Reference Price tool, to make an informed purchase.
SHARE
RELATED POSTS
  1. Tokyo One Piece Tower Attraction closes down on July 31
  2. Covid-19: MoH reports five new cases, three involving Malaysians
  3. Two Penang Hill annual events cancelled due to COVID-19