news

KuNan's RM1m graft trial on hold pending prosecution appeal at Federal Court

KUALA LUMPUR (June 12): Former federal territories minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor's (pictured) RM1 million corruption case will come up for case management on July 24 pending the prosecution's application to stay proceedings pending an appeal at the Federal Court.

Judge Datuk Muhammad Jamil Hussin set July 24, one week after the prosecution's hearing at the Federal Court on July 17.

The prosecution is appealing against the Court of Appeal's decision in allowing Tengku Adnan's application for High Court judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali to recuse himself from hearing the case.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Julia Ibrahim said the case can only commence once the Federal Court decides.

Lawyer acting on Tengku Adnan's behalf, Datuk Tan Hock Chuan, said that they had no objection to the prosecution's request.

Last Feb 12, the Court of Appeal allowed Tengku Adnan's appeal for Mohd Nazlan to recuse himself from hearing the case and for the case to be transferred to another court, with the new judge to decide whether to start the case afresh or to continue from where Mohd Nazlan left.

The hearing before Mohd Nazlan began on Sept 20 last year with two witnesses having been called to testify. The case has been transferred to the court before Muhammad Jamil.

Tengku Adnan, 69, had appealed against Mohd Nazlan's decision, made on Sept 20 last year, in dismissing his application for the judge to recuse himself from hearing the case.

The Putrajaya member of parliament filed the application following the guilty plea by businessman Datuk Tan Eng Boon, 71, on an alternative charge of abetting him (Tengku Adnan) in receiving the RM1 million bribe.

On Nov 15, 2018, Tengku Adnan pleaded guilty to a charge of corruptly receiving RM1 million from Tan through a Public Bank cheque belonging to Pekan Nenas Industries Sdn Bhd that was deposited into his CIMB Bank account.

He allegedly received the sum as an inducement to approve the application of Nucleus Properties Sdn Bhd (now Paragon City Development Sdn Bhd) to increase its plot ratio in the development of Lot 228 in Jalan Semarak, Kuala Lumpur.

The offence was allegedly committed at CIMB Bank, Putra World Trade Centre, second floor, Podium Block, Jalan Tun Ismail here on Dec 27, 2013.

He also faced an alternative charge in his capacity as the then federal territories minister of receiving for himself RM1 million from Tan via a Public Bank cheque belonging to Pekan Nenas Industries which was deposited into his CIMB account, knowing that Tan, as a director of Nucleus Properties, had connections with his official duties.

The charge was framed under Section 165 of the Penal Code, which provides an imprisonment for up to two years, or with fine, or both, if found guilty.

Stay safe. Keep updated on the latest news at www.EdgeProp.my 

Click here for more property stories

Looking for properties to buy or rent? With >150,000 exclusive listings, including undervalued properties, from vetted Pro Agents, you can now easily find the right property on Malaysia's leading property portal EdgeProp! You can also get free past transacted data and use our proprietary Edge Reference Price tool, to make an informed purchase.
SHARE
RELATED POSTS
  1. New Zealand health minister resigns amid criticism of dereliction of duty
  2. Tengku Adnan's graft trial ends after last defence witness testifies
  3. PKB to prepare report on feasibility of Kampung Baru development plan