KUALA LUMPUR (June 22): Sabah Infrastructure Development Minister Datuk Peter Anthony’s charging for criminal offences in the Kuala Lumpur Sessions Court has been postponed to July 10 as he was admitted in a hospital for vertigo.
His lawyer, Mohamed Haniff Khatri Abdulla, told the court that the Parti Warisan Sabah vice-president had been warded in the KPJ Kota Kinabalu hospital in Sabah yesterday evening.
Mohamed Haniff informed Sessions Court Judge Rozina Ayob that his client was supposed to board a flight from Kota Kinabalu, Sabah to Kuala Lumpur yesterday to be in court.
Justice Rozina then asked Mohamed Haniff to present Peter’s medical certificate to the court.
Deputy Public Prosecutor Wan Shaharuddin Wan Ladin applied for the matter to be postponed to another date when Peter is fit to attend.
The judge then fixed July 10 for Peter to face his charge.
After proceedings were adjourned, Mohamed Haniff told reporters that Peter only faces one charge, but added that the details of the charge will be revealed when it is read out to the accused in July.
According to several news portals, the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) said that it had received the consent of the Attorney-General’s Chambers to charge the Melalap assemblyman under Section 471 of the Penal code for allegedly “using as genuine a forged document”.
It would be the third time Anthony faces court action in two weeks.
On June 11, he was charged with five counts of money laundering involving RM8.75 million between 2014 and 2016 in the Sessions Court in Kota Kinabalu.
He pleaded not guilty and was allowed bail of RM500,000. His passport was impounded by the court.
Last Thursday, he was charged with abetting a lawyer in the embezzlement of over RM15.5 million involving land deals linked to the Rubber Industry Smallholders Development Authority (Risda) between 2014 and 2015.
He claimed trial and was allowed bail of RM500,000.
Stay safe. Keep updated on the latest news at www.EdgeProp.my