Careplus buys property development firm, converts its hotels and shoplots to workers' hostel

KUALA LUMPUR (July 23): Careplus Group Bhd is buying a 90% stake in a property development firm for RM3.42 million cash, which will see the group consolidating its workers’ hostels into a central location.

This will be done by converting the property developer’s hotel property and shoplots in Seremban into hostels. 

The group told Bursa Malaysia in a filing yesterday that this is to enable efficient management and ease of administrative purpose. The purchase price will be funded via internal generated funds. 

Today, Careplus and Tang Kin San have entered into a conditional share acquisition agreement (SAA) with the shareholder of Centro Heights Sdn Bhd — namely Chang Keng Chiang, Chang Sze Wei and Chang Kai Ping — for the said acquisition. 

The acquisition, which will be completed in the fourth quarter this year, will see Careplus owning a 90% stake in Centro Heights, while the remaining 10% will be owned by Tang. 

Upon completion of the proposed acquisition, Tang will be appointed to spearhead the management of Centro Heights, to utilise his expertise in managing hostels.

Separately, Careplus had entered into a commitment and option agreement with Tang, in which the glovemaker has agreed to grant an option for Tang to purchase up to 20% of the issued share capital of Centro Heights. 

In the event that the call option is fully exercised by Tang, Careplus’ equity interest in Centro Heights will shrink to 70%.

Careplus said the call option may be exercised in one or multiple tranches within five years from the completion of the proposed acquisition. The exercise price payable for the option shares shall be RM1 per share. 

Centro Heights is in the business of property development and investment holdings. At present, Centro owns a hotel in Seremban. In addition, Centro will acquire one unit of double storey shop office, measuring 164 sq m at Seremban. 

The rally in rubber glove shares amid the Covid-19 pandemic lifted Careplus shares to multi-year highs.

The stock has since risen over 1,000% from 16 sen on Dec 31, 2019 to its closing yesterday at RM1.89, giving it a market capitalisation of RM1.02 billion. Some 24.05 million shares were done.

Stay safe. Keep updated on the latest news at 

Click here for more property stories.

Click here to see residential properties for sale in Selangor.

Looking for properties to buy or rent? With >150,000 exclusive listings, including undervalued properties, from vetted Pro Agents, you can now easily find the right property on Malaysia's leading property portal EdgeProp! You can also get free past transacted data and use our proprietary Edge Reference Price tool, to make an informed purchase.
  1. Axteria, Far East Hospitality Management sign LOI to manage the former’s hotel, serviced suites
  2. Langkawi hotel temporarily closed, 59 staff tested positive for Covid-19
  3. Kenanga ups target price for Genting on 'recovery play' despite 1HFY21 results missing expectations