KUALA LUMPUR (May 25): The 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB)-Tanore trial was vacated today as former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak (pictured) was still on the road to recovery following his eye surgery last week.
Najib’s lawyer Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah informed presiding Judge Justice Collin Lawrence Sequerah this morning about Najib’s condition.
According to him, his client should have recovered by the next trial date, which is May 27 (Thursday).
He also told the judge that Najib is going to see his doctor tomorrow to get an update on his recovery.
“I think by Thursday, he would have an excellent chance to continue,” Shafee said.
The trial was also vacated yesterday due to Najib's condition.
Najib is facing 25 charges in the 1MDB-Tanore trial. The charges are four counts of abuse of power involving RM2.3 billion worth of 1MDB funds said to have been siphoned through Tanore Finance Corp, and 21 counts of money laundering.
Last year, he was found guilty of seven criminal charges — comprising one count of abuse of power and three counts each of criminal breach of trust and money laundering – involving RM42 million from SRC International Sdn Bhd, a former 1MDB subsidiary, that ended up his personal accounts.
He was sentenced to 12 years in jail and a fine of RM210 million for the abuse of power offence, and 10 years of imprisonment for each of the three CBT and money laundering charges. The court, however, ordered the jail sentences to run concurrently, which means Najib would have to spend only 12 years behind bars. He is appealing against the conviction and sentences.
Get the latest news @ www.EdgeProp.my
Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates
TOP PICKS BY EDGEPROP
SetiaWalk R3 Solace Service Apartment