MELAKA (Sept 22): The decision on the reopening of the Melaka tourism sector is expected to be made in mid-October, said state Tourism, Heritage and Culture Committee chairman Datuk Muhammad Jailani Khamis.
He said there are several important factors to be looked into, including the preparation of the standard operating procedures (SOPs) specifically for the tourism sector in Melaka set by the National Security Council (MKN).
This is also meant as a precautionary measure to prevent the occurrence of tourism clusters that would cause an increase in Covid-19 cases in the state.
"The state government welcomes the statement by Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri regarding the proposal to reopen three tourist destinations, including Melaka, in the near future.
"However, we will not rush in reopening the state's tourism sector because we are waiting for the specific SOPs from MKN," he told a press conference at the State Legislative Assembly building here today.
Commenting further, Muhammad Jailani said the committee is also monitoring the Covid-19 developments in Langkawi following the reopening of the island resort for domestic tourism through the travel bubble pilot project last week.
Following the success of the Langkawi travel bubble, Nancy said domestic tourism will soon be allowed again, tentatively on Oct 1, for three destinations, namely Melaka, Pulau Tioman and Genting Highlands.
Get the latest news @ www.EdgeProp.my
Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates