KUALA LUMPUR (Oct 6): Malaysia reported 117 more Covid-19-related fatalities on Tuesday (Oct 5), up from 76 logged a day ago.

Cumulatively, the latest Covid-19-linked deaths raised the nation’s tally to 26,876, according to the Ministry of Health’s (MoH) COVIDNOW website.

Among the fatalities reported on Tuesday, 16 were brought-in-dead (BID) cases, raising cumulative BID cases so far nationwide to 5,398.

Sarawak reported the highest number of fatalities at 21 on Tuesday, followed by Johor (19), Selangor (14) and Perak (14), and Kelantan (11) and Sabah (11). 

Reporting of Covid-19 deaths is backdated, particularly to include deaths where time is needed to ascertain the cause of death, and trends should be observed from the series based on the date of death (actual deaths), according to the ministry.

The ministry did not provide the nation’s seven-day average number of deaths linked to the coronavirus as “the trendline is cut off because reporting for the most recent seven days is incomplete", it said.

However, the reported number of actual deaths on Tuesday thus far stood at three, according to the website.

In terms of Covid-19 fatalities per one million people over the past two weeks, Penang led at the top of the list with 97 deaths for every one million individuals in the state, followed by Perlis (90.2), Johor (62.7) and Sarawak (55.7). The national average stood at 42.7 fatalities for every one million persons, according to the website.

Malaysia reported 8,817 new Covid-19 cases on Tuesday, up from 8,075 a day earlier, but marked the third consecutive day where the daily figure stayed below the 10,000 mark.

A total of 8,635 new cases or 97.9% involved those with no symptoms or mild symptoms (Categories 1 and 2), while the remaining 182 cases or 2.1% were serious cases under Category 3, 4 or 5.

Get the latest news @ www.EdgeProp.my

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates 

Click here for more property stories

  1. Malaysia's Covid-19 R-nought back to 1.0 — first time since August
  2. MoH estimates up to 200,000 backlog surgeries due to pandemic
  3. Malaysia posts 5,666 new Covid-19 cases on Oct 24