Malaysia's daily Covid-19 cases back above 6,000 on Oct 21

KUALA LUMPUR (Oct 21): Malaysia's new Covid-19 cases rose to 6,210 on Thursday — up 12.58% from 5,516 a day earlier — after staying below the 6,000 mark for three consecutive days.

Of the latest infections, 6,168 were local transmissions and 42 were imported cases, said Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah.

He said only 116 or 1.9% of Thursday's cases were regarded as serious (Categories 3, 4 and 5), while the other 6,094 or 98.1% were Categories 1 and 2 cases.

Meanwhile, 677 individuals were being cared for at the intensive care units, of whom 501 were confirmed to be positive for Covid-19 while 176 were suspected cases.

Of these, 319 patients needed ventilators to help them breathe, including 205 confirmed Covid-19-positive.

Daily recoveries continued to come in higher than daily infections at 7,562, bringing the total recoveries to 2,303,583. In contrast, the country's cumulative Covid-19 infections to date is 2,413,592.

In terms of Covid-19 clusters, Dr Noor Hisham said six new clusters were identified in the last 24 hours, for a total of 591 active clusters.

Three of the new clusters were related to communities detected in Selangor, Sabah and Negeri Sembilan, involving a total of 74 infections.

Two others were workplace clusters in Negeri Sembilan and Selangor with a total of 61 infections, while a high-risk group cluster identified in Sabah had 34 infections.

Get the latest news @

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates 

Click here for more property stories

Looking for properties to buy or rent? With >150,000 exclusive listings, including undervalued properties, from vetted Pro Agents, you can now easily find the right property on Malaysia's leading property portal EdgeProp! You can also get free past transacted data and use our proprietary Edge Reference Price tool, to make an informed purchase.
  1. Malaysia's Covid-19 R-nought back to 1.0 — first time since August
  2. MySejahtera app administrator apologises for home surveillance order, person under surveillance errors
  3. New Covid-19 infection wave the main concern — Malaysian Employers Federation