news

MRT Corp awards RM1.01b trackworks package to CCCC-George Kent JV

KUALA LUMPUR (Aug 24): A joint venture between George Kent (M) Bhd and China Communications Construction Company Ltd (CCCC) has won the RM1.01 billion work package for trackworks, maintenance vehicles and work trains for the mass rapid transit (MRT) Line 2.

Mass Rapid Transit Corp Sdn Bhd (MRT Corp) announced this in a statement today, confirming a report in The Edge Financial Daily on Aug 16 that the CCCC-George Kent JV was the front runner for the project.

MRT Corp chief executive officer Datuk Seri Shahril Mokhtar said this work package is one of the major ones for the construction of the Line 2, also known as the Sungai Buloh-Serdang-Putrajaya (SSP) Line.

CCCC holds a 51% stake in the JV while George Kent controls the remaining 49%.

"CCCC comes with very good technical know-how having handled many infrastructure projects, including railway construction.

"Its joint venture with Malaysian company George Kent, which now has a strong presence in the railway industry in Malaysia, allows the MRT Project to benefit from the experience of these two very strong companies," said Shahril.

On the tender process, Shahril said MRT Corp looks at the criteria for technical evaluation with compliance with specifications required such as proposed solutions, performance level, track record, works programme and compliance with key dates, project execution plan, maintenance plan, quality and site safety, health and environment (SHE) assurance.

He also said the tender evaluation process does not just look at the lowest quoted price but on the basis of best evaluated tender.

"However, for this work package, I am pleased to announce that the successful tenderer had quoted the lowest price," Shahril added.

For SSP Line, all systems work package contractors will have to ensure that 35% of the works to be done are awarded to Bumiputera companies, said Shahril.

Inclusive of this award, 22 work packages for the construction of line has been awarded, comprising eight advance work packages, four viaduct packages, one underground works package, six systems work packages, two designated supplier work packages and one depot work package.

The work package was awarded after a meeting by the One-Stop Procurement Committee (OSPC) chaired by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, said MRT Corp. — theedgemarkets.com

Try out one of our super tools, the rental yield calculator, here.

Like our content? Check out Narratives – where we curate stories based on topics to keep you well and broadly informed about Malaysian real estate.

Looking for property? Check out Location Scan, where we summarize all available options and facts you need in a few clicks. We have updated the tool to include MRT3 stations too.

Curious how much you can borrow? Use LoanCheck to get your maximum loan eligibility from various banks, or LoanReport to get a FREE CTOS/CCRIS credit report.
SHARE
RELATED POSTS
  1. George Kent to explore new growth opportunities in domestic, regional railway space
  2. George Kent says it has not received any offer from MRCB to acquire its stake in LRT3 JV
  3. Kerjaya Prospek Property buys land from Asia Pac Holdings for RM42m cash