news

Residents wait two years for housing after homes demolished


KUALA LUMPUR Jinjang Selatan Tambahan (JST) residents were informed that construction work on their permanent housing, which is now two-years pending, has finally begun.

The Star reports that a representative of the developer said it had received the relevant approvals from Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL), the representative was speaking at a dialogue organised by Kepong MP Lim Lip Eng.

The aforementioned representative, Mohd Anuar Idris said construction work had begun.

“If we had been able to begin construction earlier, we would have done so.

Some 138 houses within the settlement had been demolished in 2017, with the developer reportedly having promised first-generation families an ex-gratia settlement of RM1,000 as a one-off payment, a free 900sq ft low-cost unit and a monthly allowance of RM700 until the new accommodation was ready.

As for second-generation families, a RM3,000 one-off sum and an 800sq ft affordable housing unit at RM200,000 were promised.

The publication reports that JST residents handed a memorandum to the Kuala Lumpur mayor earlier this month, due to the delay in constructing their low-cost units.

JST permanent housing resolution committee secretary Ameer Khan Bargathalli was quoted as saying that residents were not happy with the previous compensation agreement and wanted a review.

“The compensation is not enough since the cost of living has increased and we have to pay RM200,000 for the unit.

“The residents whose homes were destroyed have had to find their own accommodation and many families are sharing units as they cannot afford the high rental in the city,” said Ameer.

Following the handing over of the memorandum, JST residents held a press conference at the Sri Maha Mariamman Temple in Jalan Sri Segambut.

They urged Kuala Lumpur mayor Datuk Nor Hisham Ahmad Dahlan to take action.

“Until now, we do not see progress in construction and there is no guarantee that the developer will provide homes for the 400 residents who are still living there.

“We were forced to move out from our homes but the permanent housing is nowhere in sight after two years,” said Ameer.

Lim had never visited the settlement, he said, which has disappointed the residents.

“Our committee wants him to raise issues to the developer such as higher compensation and conducting a census,” he said.

Should there be no progress in the development, the residents plan to hold another demonstration at DBKL.

Looking for properties to buy or rent? With >150,000 exclusive listings, including undervalued properties, from vetted Pro Agents, you can now easily find the right property on Malaysia's leading property portal EdgeProp! You can also get free past transacted data and use our proprietary Edge Reference Price tool, to make an informed purchase.
SHARE
RELATED POSTS
  1. DBKL: KL car free morning programme to resume Nov 7
  2. Taman Sri Bintang residents not happy with proposed high-density development
  3. Federal Court grants leave to developer, DBKL to appeal in Taman Rimba Kiara case