The state said it has instructed the Ampang Jaya Municipal Council (MPAJ) to make public the final investigations report.
With the report being made public, the state said it would now arrange for MPAJ to meet the community of Bukit Antarabangsa from January 2010, to get their views on slope management and to come up with an effective slope management policy.
On Nov 23,2009, the state has written through MPAJ, to the Works Ministry to make public the report which has been classified "secret" by the federal government. Works Minister Datuk Shaziman Abu Mansor said on Saturday Dec 5, MPAJ's request had been approved by the Cabinet on Friday (Dec 4).
On Nov 18, Selangor Menteri Besar Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim declassified the report using his power under Section 2C of the Official Secrets Act 1972, following a state executive councillor meeting earlier in the day.
He also distributed to the media that day a summary of the report which stated that according to a technical report by the Public Works Department, the landslide at Taman Bukit Mewah in Bukit Antarabangsa was caused by a combination of factors that led to a higher level of underground water retention, precipitating in the tragedy.
The summary report also pointed to water pipe leakage as the main cause of the incident that claimed five lives, destroyed 14 bungalows and left scores displaced.
The decision by the state to declassify the report was immediately challenged by the federal government which said only the Works Minister has the power to do so. The state then instructed MPAJ to write to the Ministry accordingly.
On the declassification, Shaziman said the government granted the request to make the report public not because it had already been leaked on the internet. He said the government has followed stipulated procedure to declassify the report.
On the leak of the report on the internet, the minister said the ministry had lodged a police report on Dec 2.