news

Minister orders demolition works to stop after two killed

IPOH: Demolition works on an old 2-storey building has been stopped following the collapse of the building  on a passing car, killing two passengers.

Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Kong Cho Ha said the developer involved has been directed to stop work  to enable the Ipoh City Council (MBI), the police and the relevant agencies to investigate the incident.

Speaking to reporters after visiting the scene today, he said the investigation was to determine whether demolition procedures had been followed.

"The MBI will receive reports from the police, the Department of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH), and the Fire and Rescue Department, and the outcome of the investigation would be submitted to my office this Monday for my perusal," he said.

In the 9.30pm incident, two men were killed while another was injured when the old building collapsed on their car at Jalan Kamaruddin Isa near the Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital.

Kong did not rule out the possibility of negligence as one of the factors contributing to the collapse. He said the building was in the process of being demolished and the MBI had approved a new building plan for the site.

Meanwhile, MBI secretary Abdul Rahim Md Ariff said the council would prepare the investigation report on the incident as soon as possible as required by the ministry and Perak Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Zambry Abdul Kadir.
Jalan Kamaruddin, which was closed since last night, has been reopened but only for one-way traffic flow. - Bernama
Looking for properties to buy or rent? With >150,000 exclusive listings, including undervalued properties, from vetted Pro Agents, you can now easily find the right property on Malaysia's leading property portal EdgeProp! You can also get free past transacted data and use our proprietary Edge Reference Price tool, to make an informed purchase.
SHARE