news

Search and rescue operation stopped, death toll in Bandung landslide 33

JAKARTA: The search and rescue (SAR) operation for victims of last week's landslide at the tea growing area of Desa Tenjolaya, Pasirjambu, Bandung, West Java, has been officially stopped on March 1.

National Board for Disaster Management (BNPB) chief Dr Priyadi Kardono said the decision, which was in line with the disaster management procedure, was also agreed to by families of victims who were still missing.

He said the death toll in the landslide was 33 people and 11 people believed still buried under the rubble.

A special prayer was held at the site at noon on March 1 for the missing victims.

The landslide, which occurred on Feb 23, destroyed 21 houses and other buildings, including a mosque, offices, a factory and a community health centre.

Authorities in Bandung are now concentrating on providing a new settlement for those displaced by the landslide. -- Bernama
Looking for properties to buy or rent? With >150,000 exclusive listings, including undervalued properties, from vetted Pro Agents, you can now easily find the right property on Malaysia's leading property portal EdgeProp! You can also get free past transacted data and use our proprietary Edge Reference Price tool, to make an informed purchase.
SHARE