news

#Update* MPAJ directed to apply for permission to make Bukti Antarabangsa report public

SHAH ALAM: The Selangor State government has directed the Ampang Jaya Municipal Council (MPAJ) today (Nov 25) to write to the Works Ministry for permission to release the contents of the Bukit Antarabangsa landslide investigations report.

According to Selangor Menteri Besar Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim, the instruction was given to MPAJ after Works Minister Datuk Shaziman Abu Mansor said the report will remain classified as long as there is no application from MPAJ to make it public. 

Shaziman said on Nov 24 that the MPAJ must have the Works Ministry’s approval before revealing the contents of the report to the public.

The landslide in Hulu Klang, Selangor, had caused five deaths and destroyed 14 bungalows on Dec 6 last year.

Abdul Khalid said the Federal Government was merely using bureaucracy to deter attempts to make the report public.

“This is an exercise of bureaucracy, what’s easy is made difficult,” he said.

The state government had earlier attempted to make the report public.

“I have sent two letters. After the first letter, I was asked to write another letter to the Cabinet. And now they want MPAJ to write to the Works Ministry.”

The first letter was sent to the Public Works Department on Nov 19 and a reply was received on Nov 23 following which a second letter was sent to the Cabinet.

As at press time today, there has been no reply to the second letter.
Looking for properties to buy or rent? With >150,000 exclusive listings, including undervalued properties, from vetted Pro Agents, you can now easily find the right property on Malaysia's leading property portal EdgeProp! You can also get free past transacted data and use our proprietary Edge Reference Price tool, to make an informed purchase.
SHARE